Broadstone was originally founded in 1898 by Lord Wimborne and because of quality of the golf course, the club has been selected to host many national, regional and county tournaments.
The original golf course - known as the Dorset Golf Club - was laid out by Tom Dunn and was played to the east of the now disused Somerset and Dorset railway line and was part heathland and part parkland. In 1914, Harry Colt was commissioned to redesign the golf course.
Holes 6, 7 and 8 were incorporated in existing land and holes 10 to 16 were laid out to the west of the railway line, thus changing the full 18 holes to heathland. The golf course has remained largely unaltered since then, apart from modifying the 9th hole from a par 4 to a par 5.