Watson plays down Open chances

Published:

Tom Watson has admitted he's not reached his best form in preparation for the Open Championship at St Andrews this week.

Speaking at his Wednesday press conference, the 60-year-old said he was struggling with his ball-striking in particular.

"My form is not as good as it was last year to be frank with you," he said. "I'm putting pretty well, but my ball-striking isn't quite where it was last year."

Watson electrified the crowds in last year's championship at Turnberry with a scintillating performance, only to lose out in a play-off with fellow countryman Stewart Cink.

"The loss is hard to take. As I've said before, it tore my guts up. But I've had some wonderful memories over the years and this was a memory, I guess, in a positive sense because of the way people responded to it."

This week is extra special for Watson, as it's likely to be his last Open Championship at the home of golf.

"I don't know how my body's going to be in five years. I think my exemption runs out in 2014 at HoyLake."

Watson received a 30-year exemption to the tournament after winning his last Open Championship in 1983 at Royal Birkdale.

Watson tees off at 9.20am on Thursday with two-time champ Padraig Harrington and teen sensation Ryo Ishikawa.