What you need to know about the latest issue of TG
One of the best things about this time of year is the raft of new gear that's unveiled by golf's biggest brands. It's not that I'm going to buy it all. It's not that it'll add yards to my drives, or help me hit more greens (though if you're current gear is oldish, it undoubtedly will). No, it's the way in which club designers continually come up with new ways in which they can improve their creations that gets me excited.
The launch cycle from the likes of Callaway, TaylorMade and Cobra has settled down now; we can expect a new driver, irons, putters and/or balls from these brands every 12 months (and a new line of clubs from Ping every summer). That's the way it is. The first batch of new launches is in this issue, where we take a closer look at the Speedzone family from Cobra.
The drivers are designed like racing cars (they even have exhausts!) and as a lover of tech, I'm fascinated by the details (like the "infinity" milled face). With more use of Artificial Intelligence, new metals and more carbon-fibre than ever, I don't think golf equipment has ever been more advanced. Naturally, the price of new equipment reflects this. In the next issue (and at todaysgolfer. co.uk from early January) we'll have all the big launches for 2020, including some truly revolutionary ideas from TaylorMade and Callaway (trust us, you haven't seen anything like it).
Chris Jones, Editor
PLAY BETTER IN 2020... AND HAVE MORE FUN!
This is the time of year for reflecting on the past 12 months – and looking forward to the next. Whether 2019 was a success for you in golfing terms or not, it doesn't matter – January gives us the chance to press the reset button, so set new goals, new challenges. So whether you want to play better, play more, see more events or just keep enjoying the game, we're here to help.
BIG INTERVIEW: TYRRELL HATTON
After battling injury and mental demons, Tyrrell Hatton is a man reborn
following his recent victory in Turkey. No longer reliant on painkillers and with the rocky spell that threatened his top-50 ranking behind him, he's determined to prove he's not a Ryder Cup one hit wonder.
GEAR: TESTS, NEW RELEASES & MORE
From Cobra's new Speezone and Airspeed ranges to a closer look at the rise of the hybrid iron, TaylorMade's big money P790 TI irons and the best electric trolleys out right now.
• NEW GEAR: Cobra's 2020 line-up revealed
• NEW GEAR: Inside Wilson's Launch Pad range
• TESTED: Could a set of hybrid irons help your game?
• TESTED: Can a set of £3k irons ever be worth it?
• SHOWCASE: Our favourite electric trolleys
THE PLAYLIST: THE MUST PLAY COURSES OF 2020
From Britain and Ireland's brand new designs to the clubs celebrating their centenary and tournament venues.
• England: Is Leeds Castle Britain's best nine-holer?
• Scotland: The new Fife course opening this spring
• Ireland: Play Ryder Cup venue Adare Manor
• Wales: Find out why Pennard is a 'Links in the Sky'
MEET THE PLAYERS
A quick 18 with... Lucas Bjerregaard: The two-time European Tour winner on playing with Tiger for the first time, his celebrity pro-am partner who suffered an attack of the shanks and the moment he bared all in front of his friends...
My life in golf: Just how like you are the world's best golfers? On the tee this month... Andrés Romero
ALSO IN THE ISSUE
• My life in golf: Jimmy Anderson
• Andrew Cotter Column: His predictions for 2020
• Dream Destination: Costa Navarino
• European Tour Q School Graduates: Who to watch our for in 2020
• Competitions: Enter for your chance to win a pair of Adidas XT Twin Boa Shoes, or a luxury Spanish break in Finca Cortesin