2. Amateur Tom Lewis, 20, made four straight birdies beginning at the 14th hole to become only the fourth amateur in major-championship history to shoot 65. The first three instances occurred in the U.S. Open: James McHale in 1947 at St. Louis CC (79-72-65-77, finished T-23); Jim Simons in 1971 at Merion GC (71-71-65-76, finished T-5); Nick Taylor in 2009 at Bethpage (73-65-75-75, finished T-36).
3. More Lewis: He broke the Open Championship 18-hole amateur record of 66 held by three men: Frank Stranahan during the fourth round at Troon in 1950; Tiger Woods during the second round at Royal Lytham & St. Annes in 1996; Justin Rose in the second round at Royal Birkdale in 1998. He also became the first amateur to lead an Open Championship since Sir Michael Bonallack began with a 70 to tie Brian Barnes in 1968 at Carnoustie. Bonallack shot 70-77-74-79 and tied for 21st.
4. Mark Calcavecchia, another early starter who posted a one-under 69, produced his 25th career round below 70 in the Open Championship in his 85th career round. The 25 rounds move him into a tie for sixth in that stat with Nick Price; Nick Faldo has the most career sub-70s with 37. Darren Clarke also bettered 70 for the 23rd time in his Open career, making him solo ninth and moving him ahead of the 22 by Bernhard Langer and Mark O'Meara.
5. Miguel Angel Jimenez, who sat out last year's Open but found himself in a three-way tie for third at 66, continued a supremely inconsistent stretch in the championship. His 66 followed a 72-82 return that missed the cut in '08 at Royal Birkdale and a 64-73-76-69 performance in '09 at Turnberry, where he tied for 13th.
6. More Jimenez: He was one of only three players to avoid a bogey in the first round. The other two were Webb Simpson and Pablo Larrazabal, who had 68s.
Other articles you might like…
2019 Masters: The best stats from Round 1
The stats you need to know from Round 1 of The...
US OPEN 2017: The best stats from Rounds 1 and 2
The 117th US Open at Erin Hills has already proved...
Apr6 Masters day onestats
Justin’s Rose’s brilliant first round 69 at the...
Masters 2019: The best stats from round 2
A record number make the cut, Phil reaches a...
MASTERS 2017: The best stats from day two
As four players are tied at the top following the...
2018 Masters: The best stats from Round 1
Jordan Spieth grabbed the first round lead at the...