Justin Thomas said that he will talk to the USGA about the rules after describing what they said to him on twitter as ‘shocking’ and ‘inaccurate’
The latest rules headlines revolved around Justin Thomas speaking out about the two-shot penalty assessed to Adam Schenk for breaking the new rules on caddie alignment, and why he has a problem with the new rule.
He went on to explain in length his reasons for his concerns about the rule on social media after being questioned by a fan for retweeting the PGA Tour’s explanation with a hashtag of ‘#growthegame’.
> USGA tells JT ‘we need to talk’ after rules rant
> 10 Things you missed: Dramatic victories and and rules problems dominate
> Mitchell edges Koepka and Fowler for maiden title at Honda Classic
> Which driver has the most wins on Tour in 2019?
“My problem with the rule is that unless a caddie is clearly lining a player up (which is very obvious), I don’t see how there’s any benefit to it,” Thomas tweeted. “Doesn’t make the game any better in my eyes. That being said, we know the rule and have to be careful to go by it.
“A lot of times caddies just stand back there and talk. Whether it’s the yardage we have, etc. or maybe I ask him to assess my lie and that’s the most sensible place to look at it, from behind. I agree lining somebody up.. but if the caddie clearly isn’t, unnecessary”
In his ‘rant’, Thomas also spoke up about the other case involving the same rule at the Waste Management Phoenix Open with Denny McCarthy, a situation which led to the penalty being rescinded. He then said that he was speaking about his views in the hope that “the USGA starts communicating with the current players to better the game and the sport.”
But the USGA didn’t take long to respond, calling out Thomas for cancelling meetings and telling him to call them.
“Justin, we need to talk,” the account wrote. “You’ve cancelled every meeting we’ve planned with you, but we are reaching out again. We were at the first 5 events, and tournaments last year, and your tour has had a seat at the table for 7 years. We’d love nothing more than to give you a seat. Call us.”
From there, JT was asked about his feelings over their tweets on Sunday at The Honda Classic. Golfweek have reported that he then went on to describe as ‘shocking’, ‘upsetting’ and ‘inaccurate’.
“It was a little shocking. It was a little upsetting just because it was inaccurate,” Thomas said Sunday of the USGA’s claims. “I haven’t canceled anything, especially any meetings. But it is what it is, and all I want is the best for the game of golf and the best for the sport, and that’s what we’re going to continue to try to communicate with each other to get that.
“It is unfortunate. It just was — it really hurt me.”
“We’re definitely going to talk at some point, but we’ve had conversations this year multiple times with a couple different people,” Thomas said. “It’s not like it hasn’t happened. It hasn’t been the last three weeks because I’ve been at a tournament, and that’s my main focus.”