USGA backtrack over Justin Thomas comments day after Monahan memo

Published:

The USGA have had a change of heart over comments they made to Justin Thomas on twitter last week, now stating that 'he did not avoid a discussion with the USGA nor cancel any meetings'

On Monday, the PGA Tour's commissioner Jay Monahan sent a memo to players after another week which saw rules issues dominate the headlines, asking players to 'use their voice constructively' while talking about the ongoing 'collaborative process' of implimenting the rules. 

Since then, several European Tour pro's have come to the defence of the USGA and R&A, and it appears the USGA have also had a change of heart about comments they made to Justin Thomas on twitter last week. 


The USGA's PR twitter account was quick to call out Justin Thomas over comments he made last week about the governing body and his feelings over the caddie-alignment rule which cost Adam Schenk two penalty shots at the Honda Classic. 

During his posts, Thomas said that he was speaking about his views in the hope that "the USGA starts communicating with the current players to better the game and the sport," and the USGA didn't take long to respond. 

"Justin, we need to talk," the account wrote. "You’ve cancelled every meeting we’ve planned with you, but we are reaching out again. We were at the first 5 events, and tournaments last year, and your tour has had a seat at the table for 7 years. We’d love nothing more than to give you a seat. Call us."

From there, JT branded the comments from the USGA 'shocking', 'upsetting' and 'inaccurate', although said he was definitely going to talk to the governing body.

“It was a little shocking. It was a little upsetting just because it was inaccurate,” Thomas said Sunday of the USGA’s claims. “I haven’t canceled anything, especially any meetings. But it is what it is, and all I want is the best for the game of golf and the best for the sport, and that’s what we’re going to continue to try to communicate with each other to get that.

“It is unfortunate. It just was — it really hurt me.”

“We’re definitely going to talk at some point, but we’ve had conversations this year multiple times with a couple different people,” Thomas said. “It’s not like it hasn’t happened. It hasn’t been the last three weeks because I’ve been at a tournament, and that’s my main focus.”

And now, the USGA have retracted their original view point after discussions with Thomas. 

"After further and more direct conversations with , we realize he did not avoid a discussion with the USGA nor cancel any meetings," the account tweeted. "We value his and all players’ opinions and are committed to a productive dialogue as the golf world adjusts to the modernized rules."