European Tour postpones Hong Kong Open due to ongoing 'social unrest'

Published:

The European and Asian Tour have decided to postpone the Hong Kong Open due to 'the ongoing level of social unrest' in the host city

Due to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong, the European Tour and Asian Tour have taken the decision to postpone the Hong Kong Open, which was set to take place at Hong Kong Golf Club, Fanling from November 28 to December 1.

The protests, which centre around identity, started earlier this year and have become increasingly violent. As a result, the two Tour's have cited the safety of 'everyone involved' as the reason behind the decision.

In a statement, the European Tour Chief Exectuive Keith Pelley said: “The decision has been taken due to the ongoing level of social unrest in Hong Kong. As the safety of our players, staff, stakeholders and everyone involved in each and every one of our tournaments around the world is our top priority, we feel this is the correct, but unfortunate, course of action.

“The European Tour thanks everyone at the Hong Kong Golf Association, the Hong Kong Golf Club and all persons associated with the Hong Kong Open for their hard work in endeavouring to stage the tournament and we look forward to hopefully returning early next year.” 

Cho Minn Thant, Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Asian Tour said: “It is regrettable that the Hong Kong Open has to be postponed due to the ongoing unrest in the city.

“The unpredictability of the current situation in Hong Kong makes it very challenging to sanction the tournament especially with the safety of everyone of utmost importance. However, we are optimistic that once the situation in Hong Kong stabilises, we will be in a better position to sanction the 61st edition of the Hong Kong Open in the very near future.”