'Absolute devastation' at Machrihanish Golf Club as huge fire destroys clubhouse


The clubhouse at Machrihanish Golf Club and the family home of their club steward were devastated by a huge fire on Wednesday

Emergency services were called to the scene of the fire just before 1.30pm on Wednesday, but were unable to save the building and home of the club steward and his family. The BBC reported that it is understood the steward and his family lived in the upper floor of the building.

Footage of the clubhouse ablaze was shared on social media, before the golf club posted on Facebook to confirm the extent of the damage and thank the Fire Fighters for their efforts. 

"As many will be aware, absolute devastation has hit Machrihanish Golf Club today," the club wrote. 

"A fire has ripped through the entire Clubhouse, completely destroying the building. 
Fire Fighters have been working tirelessly from lunchtime today to try and contain the fire but unfortunately, despite every effort, they have been unable to save the building. 

"We at Machrihanish Golf Club would like to express a sincere thank you to all who have helped and provided their support to the Club today, from those who helped to remove as much memorabilia as they possibly could from the lounge early on to all the offers of help and support received.

"We would like to express a particular thank you to the hard work of the Fire Fighters, the Ugadale Hotel and the local Coop for supplying food and refreshments to the Fire Fighters throughout the afternoon and evening. 

"Our thoughts are with all Club Members at this sad time with our heartfelt, special thoughts going to Iain, our Club Steward and his family who have very sadly lost their home.

"We will endeavour to keep you updated in due course and our office staff will be in touch with all members in the comings days."

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said that two pumps, including one from Helensburgh, were still in attendance at 22:00. By 7.20 on Thursday that had been reduced to one, but the incident was still ongoing. 

Thankfully noone was injured, but a full investigation in to the cause of the fire will soon get underway.