Tiger Woods WD's from Arnold Palmer Invitational with neck strain

Published:

Tiger Woods has pulled out of this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational with a neck strain

Tiger Woods, who is an eight time winner of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, has withdrawn from this week's tournament with a neck strain but insists he has 'no long-term concerns'. 

The 14-time major winner took to social media on Monday to share the news of his latest injury woe, stating that he has had the injury 'for a few weeks', and whilst he has received treatment it 'hasn't improved enough to play'. 

> European Tour Pros defend R&A, USGA over new rules
> Arnold Palmer Invitational Preview: Betting Tips, TV Times
Francesco Molinari signs equipment deal with Callaway

Woods, who is currently the World No.12 and last won the event in 2013, said he was 'disappointed' to miss the tournament but insisted that his latest injury has not affected his back - which was fused in a fourth back surgery in 2017. 

He said he hopes to be able to ready for The Players, which takes place at TPC Sawgrass from the 14-17 March. 

"1) Unfortunately due to a neck strain that I've had for a few weeks, I'm forced to withdraw from the API" he tweeted. "I've been receiving treatment, but it hasn't improved enough to play. My lower back is fine, and I have no long-term concerns, and I hope to be ready for The Players."

"2) I'd like to send my regrets to the Palmer family and the Orlando fans. Its connection to Arnold makes it one of my favorite tournaments and I'm disappointed to miss it."

Woods made a successful comeback from injury last year and finished T5 on his return to the Arnold Palmer Invitational in 2018.