FAQs and App Support
Apple Newsstand FAQs
This section is relevant for anyone who’s bought a digital edition of Today’s Golfer direct from Apple Newsstand, using their iTunes account.
Q: What functionality is available on the Today’s Golfer Apple Newsstand edition?
A: Today’s Golfer for iPad and iPhone is what we call an ‘enhanced replica’ edition. That is to say, you get precisely the same magazine on your iPad or iPhone as you would in print – with some added content, such as instructional video to help your game, extra pictures, or links.
Q: What purchase options do I have?
A: You can buy single issues or subscriptions, varying in length from a monthly recurring subscription through to access for 12 months (which should give you 13 issues).
Q: If I buy a digital subscription, when will it start?
A: As soon as your subscription has been confirmed, you should be able to access the current issue on sale. From that point forward, you’ll receive the relevant number of future issues within your subscription category (period).
Please note that you won’t be able to access any back issues on the newsstand as part of your subscription, though you will be able to purchase them individually, if you wish to do so, if they are available to be purchased.
Q: I’ve subscribed to the iPad & iPhone version in Apple Newsstand – but the app is asking me to pay again and doesn’t recognise my subscription…
A: Don’t panic! This can occasionally happen – especially if you’ve just shut down the app, deleted it and reinstalled, or simply installed an update. Try the following:
1) Check you’re logged into iTunes with the correct account details (email address and password of the account that purchased the subscription / digital issues)
2) Do not delete the app. Instead, exit the app and exit Newsstand
3) Stop the app from running
4) To do this, start by double pressing the ‘O’ button at the bottom centre of your Apple device
5) If you’re running iOS7, content from all apps open should appear on your screen
6) Swipe up to stop the app running (this won’t delete it!)
7) On iOS6, you’ll see a row of icons appear on the bottom of your screen
8) Tap and hold one of them – they should all start shaking
9) Tap the ‘minus’ sign to stop the app running
10) Go back into Newsstand
11) Tap on Today’s Golfer to launch the app again
12) You’ll see the storefront appear with all the covers
13) Tap ‘Restore Purchases’
14) This can be done either by the blue circular arrow in the bottom right of the store or by tapping the cog icon in the top right
15) You should then be given clear visibility as to issues you’ve paid for and have either downloaded, or have available to download
If this doesn’t work and you’ve paid for a subscription in Apple Newsstand using your iTunes account, get in touch with us stating this and we’ll look into it for you.
Q: If I buy a digital copy of Today’s Golfer on my iPad, will I be able to read it on my iPhone?
A: Yes! And the other way around. As long as you’ve installed the app on Newsstand and are logged in with the same iTunes account that purchased the edition, you can read Today’s Golfer on any Apple device [Note: support for iOS5.1 is likely to be limited moving forwards].
Q: How can I manage my Apple Newsstand subscription, including cancelling the auto-renew facility?
A: You can manage your Newsstand subscription here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4098 - it’s Apple’s troubleshooting page. If you want to change the settings on your subscription, or cancel an auto-renew payment, advice on how to do it can be found there.
Please be aware that if you subscribe to Today’s Golfer, Apple automatically installs an auto-renew payment, so when that subscription period expires you’ll be charged again. However, they will warn you prior to this happening and give you the chance to cancel if you wish to. If you want to opt out of the auto-renew option, log into your iTunes account and select the relevant settings.
Again, please manage your subscription here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4098
Q: How do I get a refund in the event of a billing problem, or in the event of not being satisfied?
A: All transactions made on Apple Newsstand or iTunes are handled by Apple. Because Apple is a third-party partner company of ours, and your purchase is made through your account with them, Bauer Media cannot refund or check any personal subscription / single issue purchase details made on the Apple Newsstand or iTunes.
We hope that this won’t happen, but should you be experiencing billing problems, or if you wish to claim a refund, Bauer will most probably be unable to help you. We therefore advise you get in touch with Apple directly and request a refund from them.
Here are some useful links that might help:
- To manage your subscriptions, visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4098
- For generic Apple support, and to see a list of query categories, see http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ - including help from software downloads through to installation, purchasing, accounts and billing
- If you wish to get in contact with Apple directly, visit http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ where you’ll be able to get support via email for any questions relating to purchase, billing, cards, codes and related topics
Q: My issue won’t download: what am I doing wrong?
A: This could be down to a number of things. Below are some tips for download related difficulties:
- Always have sufficient storage space on your device for the download
- Always use WiFi – not 3G – and check the connection is good
- Don’t attempt downloads over the phone network – your phone bill could go up!
- Don’t try to download more than one magazine at any one time
- Don’t close an app during download, as this will stop it completing
If the problem persists, please email us.
If you bought the magazine via Great Magazines, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you bought it via Apple, please email: email@example.com
Always remember to include the following information – where you bought the app, how long for, the device you’re using, the version of iOS you have installed and a summary of the problem. We’ll then look into it for you and try our best to help out.
Q: My magazine download has stuck in the middle of the download process… what should I do?
A: Again, check that your WiFi connection is decent. If it is, and you have a download that’s stuck and won’t start up again, try the following solutions – in order:
- Stop the app running by double tapping the ‘Home’ button on your device
- On iOS7, swipe ‘up’ on the content of your app. This stops it running. In iOS6, the icons of your active apps will appear along the bottom of your screen. Hold your finger on the app icon until it begins to shake. Tap the minus sign in the top left corner of the icon
- Restart the device with a full power-off, then commence download again
- If this doesn’t work, delete then reinstall the app
- We only recommend doing this as a last option, as it will likely result in losing your data and meaning you have to download all magazines again
- You do all this by holding your finger down on the app icon in Newsstand. It will shake: tap it again and it will be deleted – then re-load it (see next step)
- Once re-installed, ensure you’re logged into your iTunes account and tap ‘restore purchases’ – the issues you have available to buy should then be available to download again
Q: My magazine has disappeared from Newsstand: what has gone wrong?
A: Have you recently performed a software upgrade/restore of your device? If so, it’s likely that the issues have been taken down by iTunes.
Also, check your storage space – if you don’t have the requisite space left, issues will be removed without notification to you, which is a feature of iOS devices. But don’t worry! You can get them back.
To re-download issues you have already bought, press the ‘Buy’ button and enter your iTunes password. You should get this message from Apple: “You’ve already purchased this. Tap OK to download again for free.”
Depending on the iOS device you have, you might have to reboot the device itself completely, for the above solutions to work.
You can also try tapping ‘Restore Purchases’ when in the app for visibility of the issues available to be downloaded, that you’ve paid for.
Q: The app crashes – what should I do?
A: It is possible, though unlikely, that your app may crash. If it does, try coming out of it – stop it running, then launch it again.
If the crash repeatedly happens at the same point within the app, or when accessing specific functionality, you could have found a bug. In this instance, please:
- Contact Bauer Media direct on this email address if you bought the app direct from Apple: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact us at this address if you bought via Great Magazines: email@example.com
- Include the name of the magazine
- Tell us which purchase option you chose (if you subscribed, which option you took)
- Please tell us when your subscription started
- If you can tell us the device you’re using and the version of iOS you have installed, that will help also
- A brief description of the problem and when it occurs will help us
- We will then investigate for you
Q: The print magazine has a cover-mounted gift on it – do I get the same if I buy that edition on the Apple Newsstand?
A: We’re sorry to say any kind of physical gift attached to the front cover of a print magazine cannot be offered to purchasers of that same issue on the Apple Newsstand – even if a free gift is advertised on the replica cover in the digital edition (which we do try to avoid).
Q: I am a print subscriber and want to access digital editions on my iPad / iPhone as part of that subscription: can I?
A: Yes! Please visit http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/ and select the Today’s Golfer option. Here you’ll find some terrific offers for print, digital and print/digital combinations. We’ll beat Apple on all prices and you’ll still be able to access the app. Sometimes we even offer free gifts as an incentive to subscribe.
For more information about Great Magazines, please click here.
Q: None of the above helps me and I want someone at Today’s Golfer to address the problem I’ve had with my app purchase…
A: Of course… we’re only too happy to help. Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and someone should get back to you within 24 hours during the week, or within 48 hours at weekends.
If you’re still having problems and none of the above answers helps, then we have two dedicated email addresses that will get you in touch with us quickly.
Please select the correct address from the following two options:
- For customers who bought direct from Apple, Google, Barnes & Noble (Nook), PocketMags, Kobo and any other third party supplier, please email email@example.com
- For customers who bought direct from us on the Great Magazines website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll do our best to get back to you within 24 hours, though this might be slightly longer over weekends and bank holidays.